Thursday, June 17, 2010

Violence In Media


This text is a clip from a movie. The movie was American History X, and I had first seen it with a friend last year.

This video is displaying gratuitous violence. It is not justified and even though it only last for a few seconds it hits you hard when viewing. The way the blood is sprayed across the walls and how abrupt this scene is what I find so violent.

If using violence is absolutely needed to express a scene or mood and it has a specific reason then I think that violence is justifiable. For example when we viewed the beginning clip of Saving Private Ryan, it was a bloody massacre and it was justifiable because of the reason that the movie was based on war and the director/producer wanted the viewers to see how terrible and how horrifying it really was to be in combat. When violence is used in a manner that is gratuitous it is used unjustifiably. If the extreme amount of violence is not needed to prove a point then I find that kind to be gratuitous.

The movie itself is rated 18A, and the clip I had chosen is not even the most violent scene. With the easy access to internet it is very easy to view this media for any person at any age. I don’t agree with the fact that kids who are easily manipulated can view this media. I do not think it is right for people who are under this rating should view it. I found it very disturbing and the idea of younger people view this is worrisome.

This piece of media is just a small portion of a very powerful and dark movie. The clip although short has so much power and feeling. I personally loved this movie and the ending scene to me is the strongest point of the movie. And even though the violence within the scene may not seem to be as bad compared to others the amount of intensity increases it.

No comments:

Post a Comment